Thursday, August 13, 2009

Security in the Air...


With the new trend on internet on airplanes, I am presented with a new question.

Is airplane wireless any different than coffee shop or or other public hotspots or cell carrier wireless?

Of course, that goes on top of these other questions I already had. What do you tell your clients about their security concerns when accessing internet access while on the road or a business trip? Should clients be using those "privacy screens" on their laptops? Does wifi devices have any additional concerns?

These are all questions that I have asked myself about lately. Right now, at this very moment, I am for the first time using internet on a Delta flight. I find that the questions are even more insistent as I type this from my seat at 28C.

Now, I know that it seems that I have an answer for everything. But I do not. I post those things were I have reached a conclusion based on my long experience in the field as both technician and business advisor. But for this, I do not have answers.

Now, don't get me wrong. I have some ideas, but they are not as polished as I would like, and the final conclusions are still in a state of flux. Of course, shield your laptop screen if possible, but do we push this with our clients, especially if they are using a business laptop for recreation on vacation? Do we get them to use those little wireless routers or the new hotspot devices from Verizon and Sprint? Do we advise them to not use the free Wifi at the airports because nefarious people put up hotspots cloning the same SSID as the airports wifi? (True story, that does happen and I have seen it!)

There is help on the way! I am excited about the new multi policy firewall inside Windows 7 that will allow multiple network connects at once with a different policy for each. Paul Cook writes about how it will help to enable the mobile workforce.

Lots of questions and I am still looking for my final answers on this.

No comments: